Who can travel to Korea without a visa in April 2022? Is quarantine still necessary? Is it possible to apply for a tourist visa to Korea? How many Covid-19 tests are required before and after the arrival? We present this comprehensive and easy guide to all who want to enter Korea in 2022. All information is regularly updated and based on official sources.
Starting April 1st, 2022 Republic of Korea is lifting the quarantine requirement for fully vaccinated travelers and resuming visa-free entry for more countries, which had their visa-waiver halted due to Covid-19 related restrictions. We are presenting you a full list of eligible countries and guidelines for quarantine-free entry to Korea.
Citizens of which countries can enter Korea without a visa?
In 2021 there was a total of 50 countries applicable for visa-free entry to Korea. The list has been extended to additional 49 countries, starting April 1st 2022. This is the most recent, valid list of countries:
50 Eligible Countries:
- Holy See
- New Caledonia
- St. Kitts-Nevis
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- Czech Republic
46 Countries Eligible from April 1st 2022
- United Arab Emirates
- Dominican Republic
- Saint Lucia
- Antigua and Barbuda
- EL Salvador
- Costa Rica
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Marshall Islands
- Republic of South Africa
All visa-free travelers will be required to register on K-ETA (Korean Electronic Travel Authorization) at https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do
If you already hold a valid visa to Korea, you don’t need to register at K-ETA.
Who can be exempted from quarantine in Korea?
All fully vaccinated travelers are exempted from obligatory quarantine. What are the conditions of “fully vaccinated”? Which vaccines are approved?
Definition of Completed Vaccination with WHO-approved vaccines*:
1) 14 days have passed since the second dose AND within 180 days from the date of the second dose.
2) If more than 180 days passed after receiving the second dose, a 3rd dose (booster shot) must be completed.
* WHO-approved vaccines: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen (one dose), Novavax, Sinopharm (Beijing), Sinovac, Covishield, Covaxin, Covovax
Despite being vaccinated or not, there are several Covid-19 PCR tests required, before and after the entrance to Korea.
- PCR test before departure: must be performed by your country’s Ministry of Health approved examination facility, 72h or 48h before departure – depending of your country of origin.
- PCR after the arrival: must be performed within 24h after you arrive in Korea in one of the examination centers at Incheon Airport. Here is where you get more information about airport tests and make a reservation: https://www.airport.kr/ap_cnt/en/svc/covid19/medical/medical.do
- PCR/Antigen test 6 days after the arrival: must be performed in a Korean Ministry of Health approved examination facility.
Most Frequently Asked Questions about visa to Korea and quarantine exemption (FAQ)
1. Does obtaining K-ETA mean that I can enter Korea without a visa?
Yes, K-ETA is a travel authorization certificate for non-visa travelers. If you obtain K-ETA, it means you can enter the Republic of Korea without a visa.
2. Can I come to Korea without a visa if live in one of the visa-free entry eligible countries (e.g. USA), but I hold the passport of another country (e.g. China)?
No, you must be a holder of visa-free entry eligible country passport to enter Korea without a visa. In case of unclear situation, please contact Korean Embassy.
3. I am not a citizen of the visa-free eligible country. What type of visa can I apply for?
The list of applicable visas is different for each country, to check the list of eligible visas and requirements, please visit the website of the Korean Embassy in your country.
Issuance of medical tourism visas for plastic surgery still hasn’t been resumed. We will update you if the situation changes.
4. Do I have to undergo the quarantine if I have no plans to get 3rd dose of the vaccine?
If 180 days haven’t passed yet since your second dose, you don’t need to undergo the quarantine. However, if already 180 days passed, you are required to get 3rd dose (booster shot) to be “fully vaccinated” according to Korean law.
5. Do I have to get an additional PCR test after arrival to Korea?
Yes, there is one PCR test required within 24h after arrival and one PCR or antigen test 6 days after your arrival to Korea. The first PCR test must be performed in one of the testing centers at Incheon Airport (https://www.airport.kr/ap_cnt/en/svc/covid19/medical/medical.do) and the second test must be performed in one of the Korean Ministry of Health approved testing facilities.
6. What if I get a positive Covid-19 PCR test after entering Korea? When can I get the surgery in that case?
If you get a positive COvid-19 PCR test after entering Korea, you are required to undergo 7 days of quarantine. The surgery can be performed 10 days after your positive result.
7. If I get Covid-19 in Korea, can I be treated in Korean hospital?
If you get Covid-19 in Korea, you can be treated in a Korean hospital. However, not all hospitals receive Covid-19 patients. To check the most recent list of hospitals, where you can be treated, please contact 1339, and you will be instructed about the nearest hospital, you can get help.
Whether you can get the treatment for free or you must partially or fully pay for it depends on a bilateral agreement regarding healthcare between Rapublic of Korea and your country. Please confirm it with your Embassy or by contacting 1339 information center.
8. Do I have to get the self-diagnosis Covid-19 test at the clinic?
If you are visiting our clinic within 24h after receiving your PCR test result, you don’t have to perform self-diagnosis. Please be sure to save the PCR test result document and send it to your patient coordinator before coming to our center.
9. Where do I get official information regarding a visa to Korea?
Official and most recent information regarding visa to Korea is always available on the Korean Embassy website: https://overseas.mofa.go.kr/
Important notice before you book the ticket
Before you come to Korea, please be sure to get the online consultation and check the doctor’s availability for consultation and surgery. Our doctors perform only 1-2 surgeries per day to be able to give full attention to your safe and highly effective surgery. Therefore their schedule is very thight, so we highly advice to book your appointment at least 1-2 months in advance.
You can book it via our consultation form:
Or via e-mail or WhatsApp: