|Surgery Duration||2~5 hours||Anesthesia||General anesthesia|
|Hospitalization||1~2 days||Removal of stitches||7~10 days after the operation|
|Number of postoperative visits||Depends on the symptoms||Recovery Period||Return to normal life after 1~2 days of operation|
What is breast reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction that heals your body and mind
If you lost one or both breasts after breast cancer surgery, you can regain your femininity through breast reconstruction. After breast reconstruction, you will be highly satisfied your new beautiful breasts.
Breast reconstruction was generally conducted by university hospitals until quite recently. Only a few private hospitals provided simple procedures using breast implants so far.
In spite of the inconvenience, patients go to university hospitals for breast reconstruction using autologous tissues that requires a wealth of experience and expertise. M.D. Seul Chul-hwan of JW Plastic Surgery built his career as a professor at Yonsei University Medical School and a breast surgery specialist at Severance Hospital. He provides a high standard of reconstruction surgery based on his expertise and knowhow.
We recommend breast reconstruction to the following people.
01. Those who lost one or both breasts after breast cancer surgery
02. Those who have asymmetrical breasts due to partial mastectomy
03. Those whose breast is damaged by an accident or inflammation
04. Those who don’t have breasts due to a congenital deformity
Surgical procedures by breast type
01 Breast reconstruction using autologous tissues
Tissues (skin, fat, and muscles) collected from the lower abdomen, back, or hips are transferred to the breasts. Autologous tissues create natural-looking breasts and do not cause any foreign body sensation.
- 01 For breast reconstruction using tissue expander and breast implants, the patient should undergo surgery twice to obtain the breast mound. However, only one operation is enough for breast reconstruction using autologous tissues.
- 02 For breast reconstruction using transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap, one of the most common breast reconstruction types, tissues are collected from the abdomen and transferred to the breasts. Patients can enjoy body contouring effects as well as breast reconstruction.
- 03 For breast reconstruction using the latissimus dorsi myocutaneous flap, tissues are collected from the back. If the collected tissues are not enough, breast implants may be inserted as well.
Point. General breast reconstruction using autologous tissues leave two vertical scars crossing the breasts. JW Plastic Surgery minimizes the scars by applying a new technique of hiding one of the scars under the breast.
|Breast reconstruction using the rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap
The Breast reconstruction using rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap is one of the most common breast reconstruction techniques using autologous tissues. It reduces the sagging lower abdomen and reconstructs the breasts by transferring abdominal skin and fat to the breasts.
|Breast reconstruction using the latissimus dorsi myocutaneous flap|
|Breast reconstruction using fat transfer|
Breast reconstruction using fat transfer is generally applied to those who underwent partial mastectomy. Recently, it is being widely applied to those who underwent total mastectomy.
Although the procedure is very simple, it should be repetitively conducted twice or three times for satisfactory results.
02 Breast reconstruction using breast implants
- 01. Those who are skinny and have small breasts
- 02. Those who don’t have enough tissues on the abdomen and back
- 03. Those who don’t want to use autologous tissues
Types of breast reconstruction using breast implants
Single-stage reconstruction using breast implants
-Applied when only breast tissues are removed and skin is preserved.
Multi-stage reconstruction using breast implants
–Applied when skin, areola, nipple, and breast tissues are all removed.
A tissue expander is inserted and saline solution is injected at regular intervals to extend the skin. Then, the tissue expander is replaced with a breast implant and the nipples and areolae are reconstructed later.
Step 1 – Construction of breast mound – Insertion of a tissue expander
If a considerable volume of the breast skin is removed, a tissue expander is inserted under the breast muscles. Then, saline solution is injected at regular intervals to extend the skin. (Appr. two months)
|Step 2 – Construction of breast mound
– Replacement of a tissue expander with a breast implant
|Step 3 – Reconstruction of a nipple|
In the past, dark skin was collected from the other nipple or the groin for transfer. Recently, a simple procedure is applied to generate the skin.
|Step 4 – Areola reconstruction and tattooing|
Recovery from breast reconstruction using breast implants
- 01. You can return to normal life two or three days after breast reconstruction using breast implants and one week after breast reconstruction using autologous tissues.
- 02. You must refrain from heavy exercise such as tennis, swimming, and aerobics, for at least four weeks after an operation.
- 03. The scars fade about six months after an operation. In addition, we provide scar treatment to minimize scarring.
Q&A about breast augmentation
- Q Is breast reconstruction safe?
- A We guarantee an accurate examination, safe anesthesia, precise procedure, and thorough postoperative management. We consider your safety as our #1 priority.
- Q I’m worried about the results.
- A We find and provide the best surgical method for you through thorough surgical planning, considering your conditions.
M.D. Seul Chul-hwan of JW Plastic Surgery built his career as a professor at Yonsei University Medical School and as breast surgery specialist at Severance Hospital. He provides a high standard of reconstruction surgery based on his expertise and knowhow.
- Q Is breast reconstruction really necessary?
- A Recently, many patients who underwent breast cancer surgery recover completely and enjoy their healthy life. Of course, some patients choose not to undergo breast reconstruction after mastectomy. However, many patients tend to become depressed after losing their breasts and femininity. Nowadays, breast reconstruction is considered as a necessary operation for the rest of one’s life. In addition, breast reconstruction has become available for health insurance coverage since 2015.
- Q Can I take breast cancer screening after breast reconstruction?
- A You don’t have to worry about breast cancer screening after an operation. Thanks to advanced technology and screening equipment, there is no chance of breast cancer being found late, even though breast implants are inserted. As breast implants are located below the muscles, they do not have any impact on breast cancer screening.
JW’s knowhow for Breast reconstruction!
- 01. No scarring! Scar treatment program
- 02. Postoperative management system for preventing capsular contracture, swelling, bruises, and pain
- 03. Cooperative medical system of the breast surgery team, the postoperative management team, and anesthesiologists
- 04. Use of Dantrolene for malignant hyperthermia treatment
- 05. Thorough safety management system for an immediate response to emergencies